Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Lesson of the Leper.

Whew, that was the quickest three months of my life. Yes our Ethiopian beauties have been with us just a few days short of three months. Wow has the time gone by. Probably spending a whole month sick and two weeks of that bed ridden did help the time go by. Samantha is doing great and as I predicted tomorrow will be my first yellow free day. Hippie... By afternoon I am beat though not that it matters my title is Mom is it not?!?!?!
We have tried to have a good attitude about our illness and creepy crawlies we have killed over the past months and see the positives in it. Knowing that even before we commited to Henry God knew we would also commit to a daughter, that Camille would be that daughter that they would bring us Hep A and that Samantha and I woudl get it helps tremendously.That all knowing thing.Can bring you great peace if you let it. And yes I have to apologize to the Mexican restraunt I blamed for the Hep. Sorry Mexican Restraunt..
However I got an unexpected lesson and I truly was not even going to say anything, then in the inbox was a great missionary letter sharing that today is National Aids day. Hmmmm of course I think Africa. It's a county close to my heart with a astronomical death rate due to aides. Ok so how is this the lesson of the leper? As I read the story about Naomi who has three little children one being a five week old little girl. She told the misisonary who was there to teach Aids awerness and to test those who wanted to be, that her husband goes away on business often and seems distant. Hmm well Naomi had the missionary test her and her test came back positive. Three little ones to care for and in her community as in so many community's, when they find out you are HIV positive or you have a difference of almost any preportion you are shunned. See they are ignorant of how you get HIV. Until someone teaches them they don't know. So in turn they might think you can catch Aides from a handshake, or a hug. Nope that's not how. My point is they are ignorant and so they are afraid.
Since we began doing foster care then adopting children with Down Syndrome we have come across a lot of people who just don't understand the why's. Sadly most don't bother to ask any questions. So they stay in the dark about the answers. Sad for everyone. Knowledge is power you know?!.
So what was my lesson. Well every Dec I attend a function. This is sooo my favorite "adult lady" function well typically the only "adult lady" function I attend all year. Well many of you have it figured out already. You got it I got a call and was asked not to attend because there were others who just could not "risk" being around me. They just could not "risk" being around me because being around me automatically makes them a candidate for catching Hep. Hmmm I thought. Wow I thought. In the past I have called this function MY FAMILY REUNION. Because the function is with most of the women who watched me go from an unsaved insecure little girl to a born again, slightly more secure women. I explain this only to help you understand how fwd I look to this day. When I hung up the phone I thought this is what it feel like to have Aids. To be a leper. To have a disability that people just do not understand so you are excluded because of fear.
Did I feel bad ya.. for a bit. Then I remembered what I just wrote. It's just because of fear and ignorance. They don't know so they are acting out of fear. Hey I'm a germaphobe so I kind of understand yet becuase I am a germaphobe I also know how you get Hep A so at the same time I don't understand. It's ok, I'm not angry I should not even be sharing so as to not make anyone feel bad or angry this is so not my point.
The Irony of the whole thing is with Hep A you are most contagious the week before you even realize you have it. That week my daughter was at the church most all these women attend clueless she was even sick along with many many strangers at a judgement house. (like a haunted house just Christian)
It really is ok if I don't go after all Henry is to have his surgery that next Monday and I really should not have planned to go in the first place. Now I have that Saturday free to be with my family. So another reason to Praise God. The lesson of the leper does not have to be a bad lesson. How many of you woul pay for a free day this time of year??? :):):)
So do me a favor next time you don't understand a disability a disease or illness just ask the person if they would mind telling you about it? The worst that will happen is that they will tell you they don't want to talk about it. More often then not you will find most are happy that someone cared enough to ask and then listen while the explanation is given. Time is a commodity you know.
On the light side Henry and Camille are doing wonderful. They have both gained a whopping four pounds each. They sure have added much to our lives since they have been here. To watch then smile laugh,love and be loved by our other children is worth Hep A at least once a year....
Enjoy this season and remember Jesus is the only reason we have this month to celebrate.
And if you have any questions about Hep A. Feel free to ask.
To read Naomi's story go to http://www.sim.org/index.php/content/world-aids-day-inspiration
Blessings Tiffany

4 comments:

BlessedMom62 said...

Sorry you had to go through all that. Was that really your family reunion, or something that you have at church you refer to as the family reunion? I can't believe you've had the kids that long already. One-fourth of the year! I used to work with a lady, actually a couple, that contracted Hep A from a restaurant. The woman was more sick than her husband. She had to take a lot of time off from work, and was told it was contagious for more than just a week. God bless you!

Ninemire said...

No it is not really my family reunion just a group of ladies I consider after twenty years of relationship to be my family.
True you are contagious for a week before you even realize you have Hep and for two weeks after symptoms begin. So about three weeks total. It has been six weeks at this point for us.

Ninemire said...

No it is not really my family reunion just a group of ladies I consider after twenty years of relationship to be my family.
True you are contagious for a week before you even realize you have Hep and for two weeks after symptoms begin. So about three weeks total. It has been six weeks at this point for us.

Christina Hubbard said...

Tiffany~
I am sorry you aren't able to go. Isn't amazing the lessons we learn and how God decides to teach them to us. Not sure if you got my email but we got our court date today. It is Dec 24th. HE has really been working on me lately.
I am still praying and I have all of you on our lists at Church as well.

Tina