Sunday, December 6, 2009

Nine Years

A few weeks ago I took my two year old to his pace maker/Cardio appt. When we go it is very laid back, our Cardio clinic is great. This time Peter was not so receptive to all the little probes and clips placed upon his chest. While the pacemaker was being checked the Cardio Dr and I visited about Peter which was minimal because overall he is in good shape since his repair. So we chatted about Henry... who I can not even imagine taking to the Hospital sess pool at all before his surgery. The Dr agreed he should not be out and I was thankful for that validation. The Dr and I were still talking when the pacemaker checker (she's not a Dr so i am not sure what to call her) she leaned in and said everything looks good he has nine years of battery left on his pacemaker and that was all. On the way home that hit me. NINE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know what that means is that in nine years if his heart has not returned to beating completely on it's own then Peter at roughly around age 11 will need to have surgery to replace his pacemaker. They do not just change out the batteries they replace the whole pacemaker. Now that said... just to let you know this post now becomes controversial. Changing the pacemaker alone should not be a big deal. I am not afraid to have one of my children undergo the knife! It did cause my mind to wander to the "first" proposed Health Bill. It took my mind to socialized medicine. It took my mind to a conversation I have had with many ... when a person proposes that the new "health care plan" would be a gift to us all.... yes some rally believe this. Then my question to those people is WHY??? If you place my beautiful son with Down Syndrome and in need of a NEW pacemaker in front of the "benifits board" to deceide if he should get a pacemaker why would a system wtih socialized medicine replace that pacemaker????? Now I know how much the first pacemaker cost. I assume it will be a bit more in another 10+ years. So far the only answer I have gotten is well because he is human. Now that may have suffices them but not me. Nor should it suffice others. Do not be fooled into thinking that our children with special needs that we love so much will have health care taylor made just for them if the Health Bill as is passes. They surely will not. If they are allowed to bog down the system it wil be at the Goverments discression. Did you know the all so common Strabismus is a "Non-Covered" item in the current health bill? Look deeply there is so much more. How many of you use supplements? Guess what you will need a script to get these for your children from a Dr. That of course agrees with why you have not vaccinated your child and why you are giving them supplemts instead of going to a Dr. No more Gummi vitamins for the kids. Nope Nope Nope.
Because I believe in an Awesome God that loves Peter and the rest of my children so, so much more then I could ever begin to imagine I am comforted slightly. Afterall no parent under any circumstances wants to see their child denied anything that will allow them to prosper in their lives.
It is my prayer that the eyes of the American people will be opened. That we will all stand up for what so many fought and died for in war. Our rights and our freedoms. As of today this is the United States of America The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. I for one want to see it stay that way.
How is God to protect us if we do not ask him. We need but take the time to pray, ask God for direction for protection. Yes how is God to protect ua and give us direction if we fail to ask, or if by our life choices we loose our ability to listen. We are such a blessed nation even in our bad economic times, we are so much more blessed then other nations in their best economics times.

Please be in prayer for those who are in charge of our nations health plan. Pray their eyes will be open to all people not just those who "fit the mold." That they will actually do what is BEST for the people.
Those of you who have children with Special Needs know that our what our children teach us is of more value then many will ever see. Maggie taught me more in her first two months of life then I could have gotten out of college in a year I am sure. And it has been my honor to be her student.
Unite in Prayer for our country.
~~~There is none as blind as one who refuses to see~~~
~~T~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should start by saying that I am not American and know nothing (or almost nothing) about American politics or about the proposed health care bill, but I just wanted to comment anyway. I am from Canada, and have what you call "socialized medicine." Any Canadian citizen, or legally landed immigrant, can receive whatever health service they need without question. We do not need to go to request services from some group of people. Children, or adults, wirh special needs receive the same care as anyone else. The only case where that might be a problem is if someone needs a heart transplant, or any transplant, someone determines who will be at the top of the list to receive an available organ.
Geraldine