Thursday, October 1, 2009

Today's post from Morgan

We have been home for a few weeks now and they have been wonderful. Yes I said wonderful even with the scabies, ear infections, ringworm, and pneumonia. It's great to be home, seeing Mom with Henry and Camille..... that's wonderful.

Our trip really was an eye opening experience. The beauty of Addis and the Ethiopian people, yet the devastation and trials they endure. On the plane ride to Ethiopia there was an aire of excitement, people going to visit family, people going home, and people like us going to pick up the new special member or members of their family's. We met several families who were also adopting on the plane one of which was with our agency, the Waits. We also met a couple named Travis and Shannon who were adopting a 10 month old little boy, they were with a different agency. Shannon was wonderful to talk with and I was very disappointed that we would not get to have the joy of spending the week getting to know them better.
When the plane landed people clapped, it made me wonder how much louder the clapping would be when we landed in the U.S. after the long flight with babies.
We then went through the airport and got our visas, next they looked at our passports and we went to claim our luggage. Dad left me by one of the luggage carousels with our carry-on luggage while he went to find our checked bags and a cart to carry them. While he was away three of our four bags showed up, I hurried to pull them off the carousel before they disappeared. The last bag didn't show up thankfully until Dad came back , we then got them on the cart and headed for customs. there were three long lines so we picked one and were set to wait but then a security guard asked us if we had any valuables Dad showed him his Camera and he let us go around the people in line. I'm not sure why we got to go around but I am thankful.
We entered the terminal and started searching for the sign with our name [which it turns out they didn't have]. We were standing in the terminal thinking we would just wait until it cleared out a little bit when someone asked if we needed to call a taxi we told him not yet. As soon as he walked away a man came up and asked if we were Americans coming to adopt. When we said yes he pointed to a group standing a ways off to our left, the Waits were in it so we knew it was the right group.:)
We headed out to the parking lot and loaded the bags into the two vans that were waiting. The guest house was just a few minutes away. When we got to the guest house the "guards" and drivers carried our bags to our rooms. We were on the fourth floor and by the time I reached our room I was out of breath( I think it was the elevation not my being out of shape.) :):):)
We had to wait until 3:30 to go visit the kids because that is when they would be up from their rest. The next three and a half hours seemed to take longer than the plane ride, we were so close yet we couldn't get to our little ones fast enough. Tick Tock Tick Tock..... I'll be back tomorrow.....
Morgan




3 comments:

Christina Hubbard said...

Morgan~
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Praying for all of you daily!

MyLinda said...

I love hearing about the trip from your perspective Morgan, can't wait to hear more!

Mike Mayfield said...

Morgan, you really are a good writer....can't wait to hear more about the trip!