It was the year 1999 and I was single and minding my own business - living the life of a 30 something bachelor - when in walked the love of my life... Tiffany. My how life can change! Fast forward 9 years and seven kids later and WHAM! Look at who I am now... Living on a ranch in the beautiful countryside with more animals than I want to count on the outside, seven children on the inside, and knowing God has even more blessings for me yet! After having no biological kids of my own, It was a 'fun challenge' living and establishing a nuclear family with Tiffany and her 3 GREAT kids at the beginning of our marriage. Then God began making us 'aware' of a serious problem in our community. Hundreds of kids in our state had no family to call their own. Our hearts went out to them. It seemed a perfect fit for putting action to our faith. Our faith in God is made complete by what we do.
At first we brought in kids at a safe level - through our state foster care system - no real commitment and we get to positively influence some kids lives that need to be shown a little love. God's will - a good feeling. 1John 2:17 says "The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."
Next we sense Gods hand in the decision to adopt of a couple of our little blessings (#4 ) whose parent could not take on their responsibility. I feel we can make a positive difference in these lives and in our world that will last much more than my lifetime - creating a legacy which glorifies God. James 1:27 states "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
THEN came #6 Maggie - a beautiful little girl with Down syndrome. Maggie makes those people around her better people - she is now 3 and we are so blessed to have her in our home. People ask "how can you do this?" and our answer is "How can we not". The Lord has made us so vividly aware of the desperate needs of children of this country and in this world. See Proverbs 31:8 ""Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute."
After Maggie, came #7 PJ. PJ also has an extra 21st chromosome or Down Syndrome. He is the cutest little boy who is quite the lover. He loves to go to therapy and enjoys the love and attention he receives wherever he goes. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for him.
James 1:22"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."
So now on to Africa to bring in one (or two) young children to allow them to grow in the fertile soil of our home and country. We have been blessed with a wonderful loving environment to raise kids up to their greatest potential. So so many need a stable, safe home with a loving family. 1John 3:17 says "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"
Our family has chosen this path which at times is not an easy one. We have of course denied ourselves some of the selfish pleasures of living in America. We have instead chosen to give our time and resources to the mission... For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:35-40.
So I hope to have given you the answer to 'Why?' . Am I crazy? Well in the eyes of the world - of course I am. And at times I reevaluate our mission with God's will. I try not to worry knowing that is not of God. Philippians 4:6 says " Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
I would not trade that selfish single life for the one I have for anything in this world. I want others to join us. Please consider adoption. There are 120,000 adoption eligible kids in America that desperately need a loving home. There are 4,500,000 orphans in the one country of Ethiopia.
Focus not on the things of this world (career, cars, vacations, homes, sports, hobbies, TV, education, 401k, etc., etc., etc.) But set your mind on the things above - What would Jesus have you do? The harvest is great yet the workers are few... Come join with us in this field - Please support us. These rewards will not perish! Please pray for us - hard and often!
Big Dad
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comment:
Very nicely said! AMEN!
Post a Comment